Monday, January 16, 2012

Product of the Week: Organic African Black Soap Shea Butter Lotion

The Mission 

I am always on the look out for a great moisturizer/body butter.  I have incredibly soft skin because I moisturize twice a day (once in the morning before I start my day and at night before bed).  I always make sure to pump some lotion into my hand before I curl into bed so I can moisturize my feet without sticking to the floor.  I always remember to moisturize after a shower because soap/shower gel removes all oils from skin.

The Discovery 

On a recent trip to Target, I came across this lotion.  I took a look at the label and used my nose to investigate the lotion.  The smell alone enticed me to want to purchase it.  It has a soft Shea scent.

What is African Black Soap?

African Black Soap originates in Ghana and is made from palm ash, tamarind extract, tar and plantain peel.  Black Soap has been used for centuries to treat many skin problems including acne, eczema, psoriasis and oily skin to produce flawless skin.  The soap achieves this by killing odor causing bacteria.

The Product

This particular lotion combines African black soap and Shea butter (along with oats, aloe & vitamin E) to moisturize skin.  It is completely organic and not tested on animals.

Uses

This lotion is amazing! I was a little skeptical about relieving skin issues (I have struggled for years with scalp psoriasis).  I started using the lotion after I showered because I loved the smell.  Although the lotion seems thick, once you apply, it glides on smoothly and moisturizes but does not leave a residue or oil behind.  About a week ago, I decided to try using it as my daily facial moisturizer.  I was a little afraid as I have combination acne prone skin.  I used it one evening before bed and when I awake the next morning it was like my face felt freedom for the first time.  My skin was soft, not overly oily and my blemishes were starting to vanish.  This sounds too good to be true but I promise you will not be disappointed with this lotion.   The only downside is that it is hard to get out of the bottle.  It does not come with a pump top so I have to shake and squeeze the bottle.   

Purchase 

It is available at Target and Walgreens for $9.99.  They both carry the full line of Shea Moisture products.

No comments:

Post a Comment