Sunday, January 8, 2012

DIY: Picture Frames to Fit Your Style

A few months ago, I was browsing the aisles at Target when I came across a few clearance items.  To my surprise there were a few frames among the pile of items.  Each self standing frame held two photos, had no broken glass, just scratches on the black metal framing.  My creative light bulb lit up.  I could make these into anything I want.  So for a few dollars each, I purchased them.  Now that I am redecorating my apartment, I decided to use the frames on my bookcase at my walk-in.  My space is black, white, and red so I wanted to change up the frames.  Here is that experience.

Mosaic Tile Frames


You will need:

Picture Frames
Any old, broken, chipped, or even new will work.  You can also purchase them at Goodwill, Salvation Army, or any other second hand store.

Mosaic Tiles
80 Stone Tile set purchased at Michaels for $5 (use a coupon!)

Glue Gun/Glue Sticks


1.  Remove glass from frame.  Laying frame flat, lay out a pattern on your frame with the mosaic tiles.  I did alternating of white, slate gray and light gray.

2. Move your designs to the side but remember to keep in order.


3.  Here comes the tricky part.  I used stone tiles on metal so the glue does dry quickly.  You have to be ready to attach as soon as you apply the glue or it will dry.  Great thing is, that if you mess up, with a little strength you can remove the tile and glue and re-glue.



4.  Once you glue all the tiles on the frame, remember to pull all the extra stringy glue from the frame.



Add your favorite photos and you have created a simple masterpiece.  Everyone will think you purchased expensive frames but in reality you spent under $10 for both!  These also make great gifts and you can personalize colors for any space.

No comments:

Post a Comment